Sunday, April 13, 2008

Confessions of a tooth fairy


Playing the tooth fairy makes me nervous. OK, I am sure the kids know it is me who puts the money under their pillow the night after they lose a tooth, but still!

Nick lost a tooth today - it has been awhile since he lost one. So, tonight, as I was settling down to watch the newest episode of Desperate Housewives (a guilty pleasure - *blush*) I remember that I have to do the deed of sneaking into my son's room, and carefully stick the money ($2...is that too much?) under his pillow. The worst thing you could ever do is to forget to leave the money - the next morning you feel like such an awful mom when your disappointed kid cries out, "awwwwww, the tooth fairy didn't leave me anything!" (If that ever happens to anyone, as it has happened to me, wait until your child leaves the room. Go into their room and quickly put the money under the pillow. Then call out, "Oh! Here it is! You just didn't see it!" It is lame, but it works.)

So, I go into his dark room tonight...Will he wake up? Is he even asleep yet? I should have waited until later on. Will he freak me out with a loud, "Hi Mom!" when I am about to leave? The pressure!

But I was lucky. I went in swiftly, pretended to kiss him goodnight, while slipping my hand under the pillow. I left the room and I was DONE!

And with that, I grabbed my bowl of popcorn and relaxed...


3 comments:

The Shane's said...

that is so sweet! my girls are still getting all their baby teeth! i am taking notes from you though!

Russell said...

$2 is WAY too much. Stick to the dime of our youth.

Michele said...

Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about. Had to pull off the old switch-a-roo just last night! As for the going-rate, it's been $1 per tooth.