
When Nick turned 10, we bought a dog for our family. I have always thought, "A boy should have a dog." So, we got ourselves a Welsh Corgi, and named her Rikku, after a character in the video game, "Final Fantasy." I really wanted to name her Ginger, or Daisy, but no dog of my son's would have a name like that! So, "Rikku" it was.
I had no idea how wonderful having a dog would be. Here are just some of the reasons I am so glad that we have Rikku in our family...
1) Rikku needs a walk everyday, so of course, I am the one who has to do it since the kids are in school. She is like my own personal trainer! I lost 5 pounds without even thinking about it, just by walking our dog.
2) We know more of our neighbors now, because when you have a dog - and other people have a dog - you start talking to them, or, in the case of the dogs, sniff each other's behinds!
3) Now, when I talk to myself at home, when the kids are in school, there *is* someone there to listen.

Kisses on the sofa
4) Rikku taught my kids how to treat animals kindly and with respect. I think that is such an important trait. They learned that sometimes, someone will not be how you want them to be...and you just have to accept them for how they are. Rikku is really shy around other people, and at first it bummed my kids out when their friends came over. But my kids have learned how to help Rikku be comfortable when we have company over.
5) She sits on my lap when I watch TV shows that I love (but would be way to embarassed to mention!) and she doesn't judge me because of what I am watching!
...and finally, the biggest reason that I am happy we got a dog is that she brought us closer together as a family. Whether we are all taking her for a walk, taking her to vet, going to doggy play dates at the Humane Society, or just cozying up to her on our bed, we all share one thing - our love for her!
Christmas, 2007

1 comment:
Your dog is so cute! It makes me miss my dog who is in Washington with my mom because we can't have pets here. I love your blog thanks for the comment on my blog. maybe someday I can sneak out of nursery and you can sneak out of primary so we can meet!:)siera
Post a Comment