So, my son Nick was shocked when I asked him yesterday if he wanted to skip school today, and go to Fisherman's Wharf with me instead. It is March, and he hasn't been out of school once the entire school year! It would be a big secret - no one could know but us. I feel bad not telling the girls, but there is no way I wanted to deal with that battle! Besides, I will do a hookie day for each of them before the school year is over.
We have always wanted to go to Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum, but never have because it isn't really a place that my girls - well, mainly Amber - would want to go. Nick has a few of the Ripley books, and is fascinated with all the freaky things in it, so it was the perfect place.



Afterwards, we went to Ghiradelli Square and had a hot fudge sundae. When we left the ice cream shop, we noticed a gourmet cupcake shop a few stores down. So, we tried that, too! This was turning out to be my kind of date! Walk and eat. Walk and eat.

Sundaes...and cupcakes!
We looked at a few touristy stores, and then it was time for lunch. We bought a whole crab on Fisherman's Wharf, and had it cracked and cleaned, and we ate it right there outside.

This is alot of work, but so good!
Our hookie day was so much fun, and much-needed. Now that Nick is 11, he is busy with school, homework, hanging out with his buddies, talking on the phone, on the computer...it can be easy to lose touch with your kids when they are this age. The great thing is now we like to do the same things, eat the same things, laugh at the same things - I am really liking the person that my boy is becoming...

5 comments:
That is really cool! I like the idea of a hookie day with each of my kids--you're always full of good ideas.
You are the coolest mom... cupcakes and Sundaes before lunch? Great idea.
Man, I want to be one of your kids. What an awesome thing to do with your kid.
Sounds like so much fun! Your kids are pretty lucky. I'll have to remember this in the future.
wow christina, what an example to us all of how to keep in touch with the kids. very very cool
Post a Comment