Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Issues I think about for the upcoming election

I hate politics, because frankly, I am not always so sure about what is what. But, I do know which issues are important to me, and these are things I will be considering when I vote:

* I worry about people - my husband - losing their jobs. It just seems that people are losing their jobs left and right. What is happening? Michael was laid off before, and it was an awful time for our family.

* My children's school came very close to closing last year. I am so happy that it didn't. That whole ordeal made me realize that it seems that kid's educations, teachers, schools, etc. is the last priority lately. I think children's education should be very important and be one of the first priorities to anything.

* I worry about health care and health insurance - there was a time when my family had to look around for health insurance, and it was terrible. It was SO expensive, and can't imagine how other families could afford it. There are so many uninsured families, and I just find that unacceptable. I want someone to fix this.

* I feel bad for people who are losing their houses due to foreclosures.

* I will vote for the person who is the LEAST like our current President. To say that I am not impressed with the job our president has done is an understatement. I want a change - and quick.

* I worry about the war in Iraq. What if it is still going on when my son is the age where he can be drafted?

* I am upset about high gas prices. I want someone who can fix this problem.

* I worry about the Earth my children will live in. The way we are polluting it makes me wonder if my grandchildren will have to live in a glass bubble, because everything around them is so bad.

* I worry about retirement for people my age. Will they be able to retire with the rate things are going?

So, these are the things that worry me and that I choose to put my time and effort into.

Since I have all these concerns, it is hard for me to get fired up about other issues, such as if I am pro life or pro choice, or about gay marriage issues. I know other people have different concerns and issues that are important to them. I am so grateful we live in a country where we can rally behind things that are important to us, and vote the way we choose.

7 comments:

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Excellent Points, I think you won't have a hard time finding a good candidate that fits your priorities! Love you guys!

Michael Larsen said...

Thankfully, there isn't a draft in place currently, and our country has prided itself on the fact that it has an all volunteer army. Could that change? It's possible, but highly unlikely. I can totally appreciate all of the other things that you posted, they are all very valid concerns. The key is to VOTE and to encourage others to do so as well. Government of the apathetic, by the apathetic and for the apathetic never turns out well.

Anonymous said...

Excellent , point well said, and I totally agree with all you posted .
It's a free country
and we can vote for whom we choose to be our next President.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the post.

The Shane's said...

seriously, with all those concerns it's no wonder people don't vote. they get overwhelmed! well, i will be voting to protect what i believe in! it's all important!

Lance and Kim said...

Well said!

meagan said...

I like what your husband said about the apathetic. It always amazes me that our country averages around 50% voter turn out.